This opening calls for specific administration qualifications set by the school.
CalWest's client school, Mirman School, is seeking a dynamic and experienced administrative leader to oversee Mirman School’s Middle School Division for the 2019-2020 school year. The Head of Middle School reports directly to the Head of School, serves as a member of the senior leadership team and is charged with the comprehensive responsibility for all activities involving students and faculty in the Upper School.
Mirman Mission: We cultivate the boundless potential of highly gifted children, nurture their passions and talents, and develop a diverse community of creative and constructive lifelong learners. Inclusivity Statement: We are committed to building a connected community that embraces multiple perspectives and cultural competency to strengthen gifted education and growth in the whole child. At Mirman, we strive to integrate inclusivity in our curriculum, school culture, and institutional identity. We honor and support a community built on diversity of thought, experiences, and identities to best engage our students in the academic, sociocultural, and complex world in which we learn and live.
Core Values: Mirman is responsible for both the academic and social-emotional growth of students. We foster strong character traits in our students as they develop both the individual and community skills necessary to be contributing members of society. Mirman’s Core Values are:
Responsibility — We are obligated to care for ourselves, our community, and our environment.
Integrity — What we believe is right directly shapes our actions.
Discovery — We enthusiastically pursue knowledge about ourselves and the world around us.
Empathy — We strive to understand and value the experiences and feelings of others.
Resilience — We recognize challenges as necessary steps in learning and personal growth.
These Core Values are discussed and taught in our classrooms, on our playgrounds, on field trips, and at sporting events.
Mirman Middle School consists of 140 students in grades 5-8 and 25 full- and part-time teaching faculty. Mirman seeks a forward-thinking practitioner who possesses excellent communications skills and program-specific experience in curriculum development and an ability to lead a talented group of teachers. The Head of Middle School must also be able to connect to and work with a committed parent body, and collaborate with a dynamic administrative team.
Essential Job Functions:
● To maintain congruency between the school’s board-approved mission statement and all activities of the Upper School
● To act as the educational leader of the Upper School, responsible for its day-to-day operation; to direct the activities of the instructional staff in the performance of their duties
● To function as the chief articulator of Upper School programs, expectations, behavioral guidelines, and other information necessary to ensure that all constituencies are fully informed, keeping consistent to their individual roles
● To supervise the teaching process and to review and evaluate the academic programs
● To lead the Academic Policies in the articulation of the school mission, school goals, department goals, course objectives, materials, methods and means of assessment
● To provide an orderly, controlled environment in which learning can take place, a school climate that is supportive, and one that reflects high morale
● To be aware of the educational, physical, social, and psychological needs of the members of our school community and to develop plans for meeting these needs
● To oversee and direct the activities of the department chairs, the sponsors of various student organizations and activities, and specific faculty committees
● To maintain the educational standards established by CAIS and NAIS
● To make recommendations to the Head of School regarding the hiring, retention, and assignment of faculty
● To establish programs for the orientation of new teachers, for in-service training of all teachers, and for the evaluation of classroom teachers, to ensure that teachers are familiar with and adhere to school policies in all areas of the school operation
● To strive for unity, harmony, and cooperation through tact, helpfulness, respect, and a recognition of individual differences and the special abilities and strengths of each teacher
● To conduct regular meetings with faculty, which will deal both with routine school matters and with the stimulating exchange of ideas on issues of educational/philosophical interest and concern
● To oversee the coordination of the co-curricular and extra-curricular activity programs of the division; to assist in the planning and the presentation of school assemblies and programs; to assist in maintaining a comprehensive calendar of school events; to events; to keep the entire school community informed of various school programs and activities
● To provide for the academic guidance of students; to oversee the grading and the reporting of standards and methods used by teachers in measuring student achievement
● To be responsible for establishing guidelines for proper student conduct and dress; to maintain student discipline consonant with school policies; to monitor students’ adherence to established school rules; to maintain accurate records of student citizenship
● To be a visible presence in all areas of the school; to work toward a resolution of all problems - both routine and unique - as they arise; to keep the Head of School informed of the general programs, activities, and problems of the school
● To assist in the preparation of Upper School teacher class schedules, assigning students to classes, and other obligations
● To serve as a consultant to teachers in matters of classroom management, teaching methods, and general school procedures
● To assist in the admission process for the testing, interviewing, and evaluating of applicants for enrollment
● To perform other duties as assigned by the Head of School
● To support the school and its leadership
● Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree preferred
● Teaching and/or School Administration experience..
● Minimum of 5 years’ experience managing complex programs in a cross-functional environment.
● Experience in development, facilitation and training.
● Experience in the educational section preferred.
● Passion for furthering education.
● Strong communications and interpersonal skills.
Working Environment and Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a school employee to successfully perform the essential responsibilities and functions. Reasonable accommodation may be requested to enable individuals to perform the essential responsibilities of the job:
● Ability to sit, stand, move, communicate, hear and read during the course of normal activities.
● Able to use computers and other tools.
● Ability to think and concentrate for sustained periods of time.
● In-person attendance necessary to provide an effective level of required functions during normal school hours.
● The job is performed in a generally clean and healthy environment, but there may be possible exposure to childhood diseases and illnesses.
● Exposure to heated/air conditioned and ventilated facilities with average interior dust with occasional exposure to outdoor elements.
● Exposure to a normal school environment that is usually quiet but sometimes noisy.
Interested candidates should include a cover letter and three to five references.
CalWest and our partner schools are unable to respond to all applicants.
Candidates may be submitted to multiple positions during their time with CalWest. Also, candidates may not be chosen to move forward in the search they initially expressed interest in pursuing.
Our client schools make the final decisions.
At minimum, applicants should have:
CalWest is the “go-to” firm for educators seeking new positions at independent schools on the West Coast. We focus on increased communication and understanding with our candidates, providing reliable and candid advice about the schools they are considering.
If you have questions about the qualifications to apply, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.