This opening calls for specific teaching qualifications set by the school.
CalWest's client school, Escuela Bilingue Internacional, is seeking a Middle School Mathematics teacher for the 2019-2020 school year. The Trustees and the Head of School of EBI are seeking faculty and staff members who, in addition to their specific responsibilities, demonstrate the following:
● Enjoy working in an international, diverse school environment;
● Share in our values of bilingualism, educational excellence, diversity, global citizenship, and the cultivation of character;
● Support the mission of EBI;
● Bring a positive attitude and a sense of professionalism to the School community.
The Middle-School Math Teacher position reports directly to the Head of Middle School. The Teacher will guide students through the different learning processes involved with various subjects and/or skills, thus contributing to the students’ development as mature, capable and responsible world citizens. The teacher must be able to develop and maintain a classroom environment that ensures effective learning and incorporates pedagogical innovations and research. He/she must employ the appropriate teaching methodology in order to meet established program objectives and be capable of understanding and meeting the needs of students.
Specific responsibilities include:
Planning & Preparation for Learning
● Know the subject matter well.
● Incorporate International Baccalaureate pedagogy.
● Have a good grasp of how students learn.
● Backwards plan with big ideas, essential questions, knowledge, and skill goals.
● Plan on-the-spot and unit assessments to measure student learning.
● Design lessons that target multiple learning needs, styles, and interests.
● Foster positive interactions and teach useful social skills.
● Have a repertoire of discipline “moves” that can defuse most behavior problems before learning is impacted.
● Capture and maintain most students’ attention.
● Maximize academic learning time through coherence, lesson momentum, and smooth transitions.
Delivery of Instruction
● Activate students’ prior knowledge and hook their interest in each unit and lesson.
● Use clear explanations, appropriate language, and examples to present material.
● Orchestrate effective strategies, materials, and classroom groupings to foster student learning.
● Have students think about, discuss, and use the ideas and skills being taught.
● Differentiate instruction to accommodate most students’ learning needs.
Monitoring, Assessment, and Follow-Up
● Provide clear criteria for proficiency, including rubrics and exemplars of work.
● Frequently check for understanding and give students helpful information if they seem confused.
● Have student set goals, self- assess, and know where they stand academically.
● Take responsibility for students who are not succeeding and get them extra help.
● Reflect on the effectiveness of teaching/learning and how to improve it.
● Complete paperwork, duties, and assignments accurately and punctually.
● Demonstrate professional demeanor and maintain appropriate boundaries.
● Be ethical and above-board, use good judgment, and maintain confidentiality with student records.
● Collaborate with colleagues to plan, share teaching ideas, and look at student work.
● Seeks out effective teaching ideas from colleagues, workshops, and other sources.
● Willing to participate beyond the academic program.
● BA in mathematics, or related field
Preferable, but not required:
● Bilingual English / Spanish
● Experience teaching in other international or bilingual schools
● Have PYP, MYP, or IB Diploma training
CalWest and our partner schools are unable to respond to all applicants.
Candidates may be submitted to multiple positions during their time with CalWest. Also, candidates may not be chosen to move forward in the search they initially expressed interest in pursuing.
Our client schools make the final decisions.
At minimum, applicants should have:
CalWest is the “go-to” firm for educators seeking new positions at independent schools on the West Coast. We focus on increased communication and understanding with our candidates, providing reliable and candid advice about the schools they are considering.
If you have questions about the qualifications to apply, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.