This opening calls for specific teaching qualifications set by the school.
Animation and Media Arts Teacher
Windward School, a grade 7-12 college-preparatory, independent day school in West Los Angeles, seeks a dynamic, creative, self-directed full-time Animation and Media Arts Teacher, a visionary leader who will create with us the preeminent program of its kind in Los Angeles.
The Windward Media Arts Program explores time-based storytelling with an emphasis on developing a student’s personal vision and voice. The program is founded on the legacy of American and international film, sound, and animation. As the means of production and viewing evolve, shaping content and aesthetics, our program evolves with them, working with emerging storytelling forms in web-based media and fine art video practices. Students acquire a global perspective on storytelling voices while developing characteristics of leadership, empathy, and independence.
● Teach five sections of Middle and Upper School Animation and Media Arts classes.
● Work closely with the Chair of the Visual and Media Arts Department and the Director of the Media Arts Film Lab to develop Middle and Upper School Animation and Media Arts curricula.
● Implement best practices in art education pedagogy based on student-centered learning and responsive teaching methods.
● Create a welcoming environment in the Media Arts and Film Lab which reflects the school’s mission, as a college preparatory school, of challenging each student to achieve academic excellence within a nurturing atmosphere.
● In conjunction with the Chair of the Visual and Media Arts Department and the Director of the Media Arts Film Lab, conduct research to expand a leading-edge Media Arts and Film Program, including literature review, suggested site visits, and partnering with leaders in the field.
● In partnership with the Media Arts faculty and the Technology Department, continuously update and maintain the Media Arts and Film Lab resources.
● Bachelor or advanced degree in the animation/film/video/cinema arts, an interactive media-related field, or a field relevant to the duties of the position with significant experience working with animation, film and video production.
● At least 4 years of experience in production and post-production audio and video technologies.
● At least 2 years of teaching experience, including curriculum design with integration of media arts in the classroom.
● Familiarity with narrative and illustrative conventions and techniques in temporal media and executing projects from concept to polished production.
● Demonstrated ability to create, advocate for, and execute a long-term vision for programmatic growth.
● Very strong interpersonal communication skills, and ability to communicate technical information to non-technical students and faculty.
● Experience working with young people and a commitment to students, faculty and the educational process.
● Experience working in a team-oriented environment.
● Demonstrated ability to network and build a team of well-rounded media arts professionals.
● Willingness to work in a fast-paced work environment where roles and responsibilities are flexible.
Ideal candidate will
● Have exceptional organizational skills and follow through
● Have the ability to inspire and motivate people
● Be an independent problem-solver
● Have initiative and the ability to implement action
● Be a good listener and mentor, setting high expectations while supporting students in achieving their goals
● Be a reflective practitioner
● Be an exemplary role model to students and faculty alike
● Have a good balance of visionary ideas and practical solutions
This is a great chance to be part of a dynamic, close-knit, independent school culture and community.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including:
● Medical, dental, vision insurance
● Paid Holidays, Vacation and Wellness days
● Retirement Plan, including up to 6% employer match
● School-paid Life and Disability Insurance
● Flexible Spending Account Plans
● Annual $2,000 FlexCheck
● Annual $2,000 Lunch Allowance
● Access to Peak Performance Center to promote physical and mental health
● Wellness Initiatives
● Employee Assistance Program
● Tuition Remission
● Nurturing, supportive and inclusive community
● And much more!
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter, three letters of recommendation, and a portfolio of work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CalWest and our partner schools are unable to respond to all applicants.
Candidates may be submitted to multiple positions during their time with CalWest. Also, candidates may not be chosen to move forward in the search they initially expressed interest in pursuing.
Our client schools make the final decisions.
At minimum, applicants should have:
CalWest is the “go-to” firm for educators seeking new positions at independent schools on the West Coast. We focus on increased communication and understanding with our candidates, providing reliable and candid advice about the schools they are considering.
If you have questions about the qualifications to apply, please contact us at email@example.com.