This opening calls for specific teaching qualifications set by the school.
CalWest's partner school, in the Greater Los Angeles area, seeks an experienced full-time Technology and Makerspace Teacher who is compelled by the school’s mission and committed to leading the students and teachers of the Lower School (Kindergarten through Grade 4) and Upper School (Grade 5 through 8) in the effective use of technology and the design thinking and making processes to enhance their learning. Teachers support differentiation with our students’ curiosities and passions with cross-curricular integration. Teachers are also engaged in regular collaboration, curriculum development, and pedagogical reflection. Ideal candidates should have an extensive knowledge of how to teach beginning to intermediate computer programming, LEGO robotics, and maker activities.
● Teach a course load of technology and makerspace/design thinking courses using project-based learning methods, primarily to Lower School students
● Serve as a member of the Innovation and Technology Team to support K-8 programming and provide guidance to school staff in the implementation of technology and innovative practices
● Work alongside other Innovation and Technology Team members to provide consistent technology usage and learning experiences for teachers, students, and families
● Collaborate with Lower School homeroom teachers to align teaching and learning in technology and makerspace/design thinking courses with grade-level content
● Expand makerspace, robotics, and computational thinking opportunities for Lower School students through breakout sessions and classroom-integrated curricular experiences
● Attend professional development and training related to elementary technology/STEAM programs and methodologies
● When possible, co-teach lessons with Lower School teachers to showcase how technology and innovative teaching practices can meaningfully impact student learning
● Use technology to promote learning, creativity, and collaboration across the Lower School division
● Differentiate learning for students
● Maintain communication with teachers, students and parents/guardians
● Foster a love and joy for learning
● Cultivate and model a respectful, safe, and creative classroom
● Work collaboratively and communicate effectively with other faculty and throughout all grade levels on campus
● Exhibit a sense of humor and commitment with high ethical professional standards, and equity perspective
● Bachelor's degree (BA or BS) in educational technology or related field
● Master’s degree in education preferred
● Three years’ teaching experience preferred
● Successful teaching experience in elementary school
● Experience in facilitating a school makerspace preferred
● Experience in coaching First Lego League robotics preferred
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Flexibility and creativity in working in a dynamic environment exhibiting the qualities of an adult learner dedicated to their craft
● An ability to collaborate with classroom teachers to create technology lessons to support teaching objectives
● Compassionate to the early childhood experience
● Culturally competent and engaged community learner
● Exhibit enthusiasm and commitment to the vision, mission, and guiding principles of the school
● Experience working with highly gifted children preferred
School offers a robust benefits package to full time employees which includes medical, dental, and vision coverages. Eligible employees may also participate in the 403(b) retirement plan.
CalWest and our partner schools are unable to respond to all applicants.
Candidates may be submitted to multiple positions during their time with CalWest. Also, candidates may not be chosen to move forward in the search they initially expressed interest in pursuing.
Our client schools make the final decisions.
At minimum, applicants should have:
CalWest is the “go-to” firm for educators seeking new positions at independent schools on the West Coast. We focus on increased communication and understanding with our candidates, providing reliable and candid advice about the schools they are considering.
If you have questions about the qualifications to apply, please contact us at email@example.com.