This opening calls for specific teaching qualifications set by the school.
Mirman School seeks an experienced full-time Upper School (5th-8th) science teacher who is compelled by the school’s mission and committed to leading an inquiry based, conceptual, and hands-on science program. Teachers at Mirman School support differentiation with our students’ curiosities and passions with cross-curricular integration. Teachers are also engaged in regular collaboration, curriculum development, and pedagogical reflection. Ideal candidates should have an extensive knowledge of science curriculum design, including but not limited to physical, environmental, life, astronomy, and geological sciences.
At Mirman School, we work collaboratively to support our unique population of highly gifted learners. We have a firm commitment to educating the whole child, and nurturing talents in all dimensions — academic, kinesthetic, and artistic. By fully integrating a commitment to inclusivity as well as a strong social emotional learning curriculum, we challenge our students and each other to be dynamic problem-solvers and thoughtful citizens of this increasingly complex society.
Mirman School actively seeks to enhance and support diversity and inclusion within its community, and is an equal opportunity employer. Mirman School encourages applications from persons of color, women, individuals living with disabilities, and protected veterans. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal and/or state law.
● Teach 2 Upper School (5-8) levels of science
● Familiar with Next Gen Science standards and practice
● Collaborate, design, and implement science courses
● Differentiate learning for students
● Advise 12-14 students
● Maintain communication with students and parents / guardians
● Participate in an outdoor / travel overnight educational trips
● Foster a love and joy for learning
● Design science electives and mini-workshop classes
● Create project-based learning opportunities
● Integrate technology into teaching and learning
● Cultivate and model a respectful, safe, creative, and innovative classroom
● Evaluate student work, using both formative and summative assessments, benchmarks and other assessments to guide instructional planning and promote student success
● Work collaboratively and communicate effectively with other faculty and throughout all grade levels on campus
● Exhibit a sense of humor and commitment with high ethical professional standards, and equity perspective
● Bachelor's degree (BA or BS) in a science or related field
● Master’s degree in education preferred
● Three years’ teaching experience preferred
● Successful teaching experience in middle or secondary school
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Flexibility and creativity in working in a dynamic environment exhibiting the qualities of an adult learner dedicated to their craft
● A desire to integrate curriculum and to teach collaboratively
● Compassionate to the middle school age and experience
● Culturally competent and engaged community learner
● Exhibit enthusiasm and commitment to the vision, mission and guiding principles of the school
● Independent school experience preferred
● Experience working with highly gifted children preferred
Mirman School offers a robust benefits package to full time employees which includes medical, dental, and vision coverages. Eligible employees may also participate in the 403(b) retirement plan. Mirman also offers opportunities for the professional development of our faculty and administrators.
CalWest and our partner schools are unable to respond to all applicants.
Candidates may be submitted to multiple positions during their time with CalWest. Also, candidates may not be chosen to move forward in the search they initially expressed interest in pursuing.
Our client schools make the final decisions.
At minimum, applicants should have:
CalWest is the “go-to” firm for educators seeking new positions at independent schools on the West Coast. We focus on increased communication and understanding with our candidates, providing reliable and candid advice about the schools they are considering.
If you have questions about the qualifications to apply, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.