This opening calls for specific teaching qualifications set by the school.
Windward School, a grade 7-12 college-preparatory, independent day school in vibrant West Los Angeles, seeks an experienced educator to join our World Language Department. Windward faculty and administrative leaders continually seek best practices and educational partnerships to help our students and faculty pursue their passions, engage in cutting edge work, and lead meaningful lives.
Windward’s mission, as a college-preparatory school, is to challenge each student to achieve academic excellence in a nurturing environment. Windward teachers, parents, and administrators work as a team to encourage each student to be responsible, caring, well, informed, ethical and prepared, thus promoting the fullest development of the individual.
The World Language Department is looking for a dynamic, innovative teacher to join our collaborative team. The successful candidate will have experience with collaborative curriculum design, ideally including backward design based on clearly defined curricular understandings and experience developing curriculum variations to challenge all learners.
Teaching responsibilities will include three sections (60% Full-Time Equivalency) with at least two preparations.
While the specific classes will be determined later in the Spring, the ideal candidate will have the ability to teach novice through intermediate Spanish in a secondary school setting teaching grades 7-12.
Summary of Major Responsibilities
● Actively participate in the work of the World Language Department on curriculum alignment, development and implementation
● Teach three sections of Spanish, providing feedback and grade reports; communicate with parents, students and colleagues regarding student progress.
● Attend department and faculty meetings as scheduled
● Master’s degree preferred in Spanish or Applied Linguistics, Bachelor’s Degree minimum.
● Minimum of three years of teaching experience, preferably with middle and high school students.
● Native or near-native fluency in Spanish
● Experience with proficiency-driven curriculum design and ACTFL and/or CEFR frameworks
● Knowledge of cultural products and practices of Spanish speaking communities
● Instruction with emphasis on communicative and task-based pedagogical approaches
● Understanding of Backward Design approach to curriculum design
● Knowledge of Mastery/Standards-Based Grading
● Evidence of significant recent professional development
● Excellent technology skills and experience integrating technology into the curriculum
● Experience in a school with a similar philosophy, teaching methods, and curricula to those of Windward; knowledge and understanding of independent school communities preferred
● Willingness to contribute to school life outside of the classroom
● A proven commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of children and young people
This is a great chance to be part of a dynamic, close-knit, independent school culture and community!
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including:
Medical, dental, vision insurance
Paid Holidays, Vacation and Wellness days
Retirement Plan, including up to 6% employer match
School-paid Life and Disability Insurance
Flexible Spending Account Plans
Annual $2,000 FlexCheck
Annual $2,000 Lunch Allowance
Access to Peak Performance Center to promote physical and mental health
Employee Assistance Program
Nurturing, supportive and inclusive community
To Apply: All interested candidates should send three letters of recommendation and a letter of interest.
CalWest and our partner schools are unable to respond to all applicants.
Candidates may be submitted to multiple positions during their time with CalWest. Also, candidates may not be chosen to move forward in the search they initially expressed interest in pursuing.
Our client schools make the final decisions.
At minimum, applicants should have:
CalWest is the “go-to” firm for educators seeking new positions at independent schools on the West Coast. We focus on increased communication and understanding with our candidates, providing reliable and candid advice about the schools they are considering.
If you have questions about the qualifications to apply, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.