This opening calls for specific teaching qualifications set by the school.
Windward School, a grade 7-12 college-preparatory, independent day school in vibrant West Los Angeles, seeks an experienced educator to join our History Department. Windward faculty and administrative leaders continually seek best practices and educational partnerships to help our students and faculty pursue their passions, engage in cutting edge work, and lead meaningful lives.
Windward’s mission, as a college-preparatory school, is to challenge each student to achieve academic excellence in a nurturing environment. Windward teachers, parents, and administrators work as a team to encourage each student to be responsible, caring, well, informed, ethical and prepared, thus promoting the fullest development of the individual.
The History Department is looking for a dynamic, innovative teacher to join our collaborative team. The successful candidate will have experience with collaborative curriculum design, ideally including backward design based on clearly defined curricular understandings and experience developing curriculum variations to challenge all learners. Teaching responsibilities will include five sections with at least two preparations. Teachers should be able to teach grades 7-12, with a particular passion for the middle school grades. We seek a department member with experience teaching both majority world (non-western) and western history; experience teaching interdisciplinary and/or social science curriculum would also be an asset.
In the History Department, students and teachers work together to develop understandings of the past that allow us to critically analyze the present as well as seek to understand the past on its own terms. We use historical thinking to appreciate, analyze and interrogate sources and build historical arguments, using content as a vehicle for thinking not simply as an end in itself.
Summary of Major Responsibilities
● Teach five sections of History across middle and upper school, including both global and western content areas and thematic and traditional approaches
● Design and coordinate curriculum with other members of the department and within teaching teams for each assigned course and liaise with other departments to build cross disciplinary experiences
● Monitor and evaluate students’ progress and communicate with parents and Division teams regarding student progress.
● Exhibit knowledge of current trends, pedagogy, research, and topics of importance in history pedagogy by applying it in the classroom and sharing it with teachers on a departmental and school-wide basis
● Participate in regular, purposeful pedagogy meetings and in professional development sessions
● Participate actively in the life of the school, through attendance at events, committee membership, and leadership of extracurricular activities
● Perform other duties within the scope, spirit, and purpose of the job, as requested by the divisional directors
● A bachelor’s degree in History or a closely related field, advanced degree preferred
● A minimum of three years of full-time experience teaching History, six or more years preferred
● A demonstrable passion for historical thinking and working with young people
● Evidence of significant recent professional development
● Excellent technology skills and experience integrating technology into the curriculum
● Experience in a school with a similar philosophy, teaching methods, and curricula to those of Windward; knowledge and understanding of independent school communities preferred
● Willingness to contribute to school life outside of the classroom
● A proven commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of children and young people
This is a great chance to be part of a dynamic, close-knit, independent school culture and community.
We offer competitive compensation and benefits, including:
● Medical, dental, vision insurance
● Paid Holidays, Vacation and Wellness days
● Retirement Plan, including up to 6% employer match
● School-paid Life and Disability Insurance
● Flexible Spending Account Plans
● Annual $2,000 FlexCheck
● Annual $2,000 Lunch Allowance
● Access to Peak Performance Center to promote physical and mental health
● Wellness Initiatives
● Employee Assistance Program
● Tuition Remission
● Nurturing, supportive and inclusive community
● And much more!
CalWest and our partner schools are unable to respond to all applicants.
Candidates may be submitted to multiple positions during their time with CalWest. Also, candidates may not be chosen to move forward in the search they initially expressed interest in pursuing.
Our client schools make the final decisions.
At minimum, applicants should have:
CalWest is the “go-to” firm for educators seeking new positions at independent schools on the West Coast. We focus on increased communication and understanding with our candidates, providing reliable and candid advice about the schools they are considering.
If you have questions about the qualifications to apply, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.