This opening calls for specific teaching
qualifications set by the school.
Upper School Science Teacher
New Roads School provides an inspired college preparatory program from which an authentically diverse student population, mirroring the rich diversity of Los Angeles, develops a personal dedication to learning, a respect for independent thinking, an expanding curiosity about the world and its people, and a commitment to the common good.
The Upper School Science Teacher is a professional, experienced and passionate educator with teaching experience in Biology and Chemistry at the upper school level (grades 9-12).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ability to use conventional and unconventional tools to explore Science and follow the interests of students in a measured and meaningful way
- Plan and teach science at an Upper School level (grades 9 -12)
- Encourage scientific literacy and inquiry-based thought on a daily basis
- Incorporate multiple techniques of instruction, including discussion, hands-on labs and activities, independent writing assignments, and the use of all appropriate visual aids
- Communicate and enforce high expectations and standards for behavior and performance
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students' progress and development
- Participate in department, school, and parent meetings
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Understand theories related to upper school school (grades 9-12) students’ developmental milestones and socio-emotional lives
- Will maintain and communicate high expectations and boundaries in a consistently kind, clear and respectful manner.
- Maintain a climate of trust and mutual respect, which encourages students to risk asking questions, expressing their opinions, and making mistakes necessary to learning process.
- Differentiate for individual students based on their unique learning needs so all students are appropriately engaged and challenged
- Ensure students are engaged through activities and technology that accommodate various learning styles, personality styles,behavioral styles, and the need for physical movement
- Collaborate with classroom teachers to create interdisciplinary units that teach grade-level content knowledge and skills through Science
- Provide ongoing and timely feedback to students on their progress towards meeting big goals by frequently checking for understanding and formative assessment
- Communicate respectfully and thoughtfully with parent/ guardians remaining sensitive to different families cultures, values and needs.
- Show concern for and nurture the student’s intellectual, social, emotional, ethical, and aesthetic development
- A commitment to supporting the holistic development of the student, both inside and outside of the class
- Demonstrate an understanding of, and commitment to, New Roads philosophy and approach to education.
- Demonstrate commitment to social justice and working with a diverse community.
- Show experience and interest in differentiated instruction, project-based, constructivist approach teaching and learning, as well as portfolio, authentic, and performance assessment.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of subject matter, including grammar, and effectiveness in teaching.
- Desire to teach reading comprehension skills and building vocabulary.
- Knowledge of supporting the metacognitive skills and learning strategies to access the disciplines
- Knowledge of how to teach students to use textbooks, as well as other resources
- Desire and ability to collaborate across disciplines
- Provide students with opportunities and support in the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills,the exploration of ideas, and the development of leadership qualities
- Other duties as assigned
- B.A. degree required/ M.A. degree preferred in Science or related field
- Minimum three years teaching experience is required.
- Passion for teaching and understanding of and respect for students’ individual learning styles
- Passion for personal and professional growth as an Upper School teacher
- Solid organization, communication and writing skills
- Excellent classroom management skills
- Medical insurance (Employee covered 100%)
- Dental insurance (Employee covered 100%)
- Vision insurance (Employee covered 100%)
- Life insurance (Company Paid)
- Long Term Disability (Company Paid)
- Retirement 403(b) Savings (immediate matching)
- Flexible Spending Account Section 125 Cafeteria Plan(s) (Medical and Dependent Care)
- Paid holidays, sick leave and personal days
How to Apply: attach a cover letter, describing your educational philosophy and how your experience and skills will contribute to the position.