This opening calls for specific teaching qualifications set by the school.
CalWest's client school, Bentley School, is seeking a Middle School Spanish Teacher for the 2020-2021 school year. Established in 1920, Bentley School is a K-12 co-educational, independent day school located on two campuses in Oakland (K-8) and Lafayette (9-12), California. Bentley School celebrates the cultural and ethnic diversity of its community as a key strength of its program, and desires faculty members who will help cultivate these shared values. Bentley School is an inclusive community that shares a vision of academic achievement, balance, and the cultivation of character. The administration and deans worked together to create Bentley’s characteristics of professional excellence which reinforce our values as a community, inspire self-reflection and growth as professionals, and give clear direction in how we live out the Bentley Promise. With these characteristics as our guide, Bentley seeks teachers who:
The administration and deans worked together to create Bentley’s characteristics of professional excellence which reinforce our values as a community, inspire self-reflection and growth as professionals, and give clear direction in how we live out the Bentley Promise. With these characteristics as our guide, Bentley teachers have a deep knowledge of and passion for their subject, and they continually develop their practice as educators. Engaging in continual reflection, re-assessment, and pursuit of mission-driven pedagogical practices, teachers at Bentley take risks and maintain a growth mindset by observing and learning from each other. Teachers are expected to align unequivocally with student growth and success and establish pedagogical objectives that are consistent with students’ development, that reflects high expectations, and that demonstrate flexibility based on student achievement. Beyond the classroom, Bentley faculty participate meaningfully in aspects of student and campus life and help students understand how to be compassionate, respectful, just, and inclusive citizens of the world in all the best senses.
Responsibilities for this position will include, but are not limited to:
● Teaching four sections of Middle School Spanish, two elective sections, and acting as a grade level advisor.
● Fulfilling operational responsibilities such as weekly and monthly school meetings, providing student supervision during breaks, student drop off and pick up, and participate in admissions events.
● Collaborating with other members of the Middle School to organize and participate in non-classroom student experiences such as Town Meetings, overnight trips, field day, and other opportunities.
● Carrying out operational tasks as required, including but not limited to recording attendance, prompt start and end times to classes, timely responses to communications, timely completion of
report card comments, and ensure that all policies and procedures are followed at all times.
● Participating in various aspects of student life at Bentley such as advising, coaching, or working with student organizations.
● Bachelor’s Degree in the Spanish Language, master’s degree preferred and/or a related field that requires significant coursework in the Spanish language
● Experience in an interdisciplinary environment with an emphasis on group collaboration and use of technology
● Experience in teaching Problem Solving skills in addition to traditional core content
● Ability and willingness to work with students in large and small group settings using multiple teaching methods to reach a broad range of students
Bentley School is an equal opportunity employer and seeks rich diversity among faculty and administration. The School offers competitive compensation and benefits. Bentley is a growth oriented school which is reflected in our commitment to providing ample funds to support the professional development of our faculty.
How to Apply
Please send a letter of interest and a statement of teaching philosophy that addresses both your approach to working with students and how you approach your classroom practice. A list with the names and contact information of three (3) references should also be included.
CalWest and our partner schools are unable to respond to all applicants.
Candidates may be submitted to multiple positions during their time with CalWest. Also, candidates may not be chosen to move forward in the search they initially expressed interest in pursuing.
Our client schools make the final decisions.
At minimum, applicants should have:
CalWest is the “go-to” firm for educators seeking new positions at independent schools on the West Coast. We focus on increased communication and understanding with our candidates, providing reliable and candid advice about the schools they are considering.
If you have questions about the qualifications to apply, please contact us at email@example.com.