This opening calls for specific administration qualifications set by the school.
Located in the Presidio of San Francisco, The Bay School is an independent, college preparatory high school committed to providing its 360 students with a challenging, innovative curriculum and a collaborative, supportive community. Our flexible, open-minded staff and faculty members foster and model curiosity, critical thinking, intentionality, good humor and respect for diversity. As co-builders of a young high school, they contribute to an impactful community. Our campus also serves as headquarters for the CATDC (California Teacher Development Collaborative).
The Bay School does not discriminate on the basis of SOGIE (sexual orientation/gender identity expression), race, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are committed to having a faculty, staff, and student body that reflects the diversity of the Bay Area. We strongly encourage those with a demonstrated dedication to social justice, collaboration, innovation, and student-centered education to apply.
The Bay School seeks an Associate Director of College Counseling to work collaboratively with the Director and a team of two other professionals. The Associate Director has substantial experience in college counseling so that they can represent the college counseling office in a leadership capacity and assist the Director in strategic planning. The Associate Director works closely and collaboratively with colleagues in the College Counseling Office to develop and implement thoughtful, effective college counseling strategies, innovative programming, and best practices in the context of The Bay School. The Associate Director provides a framework and guidance to the members of each year’s graduating class through the transition to post-secondary education.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
● Serve as a point person for all students and parents who have questions about the college counseling process
● Maintain a personalized approach to college counseling, reinforcing the “fit” in the college process and making recommendations of colleges of interest and assist students in developing a thoughtful and well-balanced list
● Co-teach a weekly college counseling course
● Educate families about college, the admissions process, trends, procedures, and testing
● Assist in coordinating and presenting at college information programs/events for students and parents
● Write a comprehensive school recommendation letter for assigned students in the senior class
● Work collaboratively as a member of a high-functioning team and complete administrative tasks as needed (i.e.sending application documents, scheduling college representative visits, etc.)
● Meet with college representatives who visit The Bay School; cultivate relationships and serve as a liaison with college admissions officers throughout the academic year
● Provide leadership and mentorship to junior staff members and manage the office in the absence of the Director
● Engagement and involvement in professional organizations for personal development and to raise the profile of The Bay School
The ideal candidate has:
● A Bachelor’s degree (required), Master’s degree preferred
● Experience working in an independent school college counseling office and/or selective college admission (preferably a minimum of five years’ experience)
● Deep knowledge of admission trends and policies, financial aid, and individual colleges ● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Meticulous attention to detail
● Appreciation for and commitment to the mission and precepts of The Bay School
● Demonstrated ability to manage numerous detailed tasks, anticipate and meet deadlines, problem-solve independently and work collaboratively
● A sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of all social, economic, cultural, ideological, and ethnic backgrounds
● Proficiency with information technology including Google apps and SCOIR
● A lively sense of humor
Bay offers a salary commensurate with experience and a generous benefits package. To apply, please send a cover letter stating your interest and highlights of your experience.
CalWest and our partner schools are unable to respond to all applicants.
Candidates may be submitted to multiple positions during their time with CalWest. Also, candidates may not be chosen to move forward in the search they initially expressed interest in pursuing.
Our client schools make the final decisions.
At minimum, applicants should have:
CalWest is the “go-to” firm for educators seeking new positions at independent schools on the West Coast. We focus on increased communication and understanding with our candidates, providing reliable and candid advice about the schools they are considering.
If you have questions about the qualifications to apply, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.