This opening calls for specific administration qualifications set by the school.
Marlborough School, an independent, college preparatory school in Los Angeles for 530 young women in grades 7-12, seeks a Director of Equity and Inclusion to join the community for the 2020-2021 school year. We are looking for an experienced educator who is committed professionally and personally to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in independent schools. In addition to being knowledgeable and experienced in best practices in the area of diversity, equity, and inclusion, the ideal candidate is dynamic, interested in learning and growing as a professional, and able to collaborate effectively with colleagues.
Marlborough’s Mission defines the School as “an independent, urban day school serving a diverse group of young women.” We believe a diverse faculty is essential to the Mission of the School, for the following reasons:
● We instill confidence and cultivate leadership potential within each student and serve as role models in inspiring them to pursue their personal best.
● We arm each graduate with the skills and motivation to create meaningful connections with people throughout the nation and across the world.
● We serve as role models for our students with teaching responsibilities that extend beyond the classroom and the curriculum.
It is our responsibility to employ a diverse group of educators who exemplify excellence in teaching and leadership, and teach by example as well as by pedagogy.
The Director of Equity and Inclusion reports to the Head of School, serves as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, and leads the Social Justice and Community Partnerships Department. The Director partners with the Leadership team, Division Directors, Department Chairs, Grade Level Deans, Department members, Faculty, and Staff on diversity, equity and inclusion related issues that are particular to each division and to the school at large. Acting as a resource, a strategic planner, and guide, the Director helps lead the efforts to make Marlborough School a more diverse, equitable and inclusive community for all students, families, teachers, staff, trustees, and alumnae. The Director collaborates with members of the leadership team to address current issues and help the school articulate long-range goals in areas related to all forms of diversity, equity, and inclusion. The Director will work in a collaborative spirit that encourages commitment and buy-in from all constituents in order to build a shared vision of the ways we hope to grow as a school around issues of diversity, equity and inclusion and develop a sense of belonging throughout the community. The Director will nurture relationships throughout the school to ensure understanding and support of this vision. This position is directly involved in (1) providing leadership in policy and decision making around diversity, equity, and inclusion,
(2) advising students, parents, teachers, and administrators regarding programs and policies, and (3) staying current with best practices in the field; carrying out additional research when needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Provides strategic leadership in the area of inclusivity and community-building in support of Marlborough’s mission and strategic plan.
○ Creates and implements a mission-aligned vision for community and educational experiences related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
○ Leads the development and implementation of policies, procedures, and programs around issues of cultural competency, a sense of belonging in our students, and other general topics related to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive school community.
● Works with the school’s leadership team on issues of diversity and inclusion across all school programs and departments.
○ Collaborates with faculty and the school’s academic administrative team to further develop and strengthen the school’s multicultural and cultural competency curriculum.
○ Provides support, coaching, and training to faculty on matters involving culturally competent teaching and other faculty needs related to equity and inclusion.
○ Oversees faculty and staff professional development efforts related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
● Serves as a resource and strategic leader for the community on matters of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
○ Provides the Marlborough community with information and insight into curricular and community work around diversity, equity, and inclusion instruction and community programs.
○ Leads and cultivates cross-cultural and identity-based student programming such as Affinity Groups for employees and students and Advisory programming.
○ Works with Parents’ Association and Alumnae Council on programming for their constituencies.
● Oversees the Department of Social Justice and Community Partnerships, which includes supervision of two full-time positions and one part-time position.
● Models encouragement and compassion for all members of the Marlborough community recognizing that each individual occupies a different location in her/his/their multicultural journey.
● Partners with the Admissions Office to continue recruiting a diverse and inclusive student and family body.
● Assists in recruiting, hiring, mentoring, and retaining faculty and staff in support of a diverse and inclusive school community.
● Serves on the senior leadership team.
● A Master’s Degree in a relevant area of study and a minimum of five years of administrative experience leading diversity, equity, and inclusion work at the middle or high school level.
● Experience as a classroom teacher and/or advisor.
● Participation with in-depth training in diversity, equity, and inclusion at nationally recognized seminars and workshops.
● Strategic thinking skills with a record of accomplishment in implementing effective and sustainable educational, cultural, and social programs in diversity, equity, and inclusion in school settings.
● Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, allowing one to work effectively with colleagues and constituents, solve problems and represent Marlborough in the broader community.
● Experience facilitating and leading discussions with small and large groups of people.
● Experience in conflict resolution and ability to manage discomfort and tension that may arise when addressing issues around inclusivity
● Strong oral and written communication skills, including public speaking and leading workshops.
● Strong organizational skills needed to interface with several academic and non-academic departments.
● A progressive and innovative mindset.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
● Work in a dynamic environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
● May work at a desk and computer for limited periods of time.
● May work long hours for extended periods of time.
● Generally works in standard office conditions and climate.
● Occasionally lifts up to 30 pounds.
This position description reflects the general duties of the job but is not intended to be a detailed description of all duties which may be inherent to the position.
Marlborough School is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any basis made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, including, but not limited to, race, color, creed, sex, religion, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, or sexual orientation.
CalWest and our partner schools are unable to respond to all applicants.
Candidates may be submitted to multiple positions during their time with CalWest. Also, candidates may not be chosen to move forward in the search they initially expressed interest in pursuing.
Our client schools make the final decisions.
At minimum, applicants should have:
CalWest is the “go-to” firm for educators seeking new positions at independent schools on the West Coast. We focus on increased communication and understanding with our candidates, providing reliable and candid advice about the schools they are considering.
If you have questions about the qualifications to apply, please contact us at email@example.com.