This opening calls for specific administration qualifications set by the school.
The Dean of Adult Equity and Inclusion oversees the development of an integrated program for the faculty, staff, administration, parents, and board of Lick-Wilmerding High School to further the school’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. As a school that seeks to dismantle systems of inequality such as racism, sexism, and homophobia, this position is tasked with ensuring that a diverse, socially just, inclusive curriculum and pedagogy are integrated into classrooms, co-curricular school-wide initiatives, and within the LWHS adult community. This position reports directly to the Assistant Head of School. The start date is August 1, 2020.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Coordinate the efforts of the administration, faculty/staff, board of trustees, Parents Association, and students in naming and confronting structural and systemic inequities as integral to the LWHS mission
• Collaborate with the Assistant Head of School, the Teaching and Learning Leadership Team (TLLT), the Institutional Researcher, faculty and staff on development of pedagogical practices and curricula that explore the complexities of diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice
• Lead the adult community in deepening cultural competency skills in programs including faculty meetings, in-service days, and the Center for Civic Engagement’s Sam Mihara Day of Justice.
• Provide assistance to faculty and college counseling in their work with students
• Collaborate with the Parents Association in furthering their goals of creating an inclusive parent community
• Develop programs and services for families, particularly families of color, families whose primary language isn’t English, and those new to independent schools, that provide support for and access to all LWHS services and activities to further nurture participation in the school community.
• Serve on the board of trustees Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee
• Collaborate with the Director of Student Inclusion on student inclusion programming and the oversight of the LWHS Equity and Inclusion Roundtable
The ideal candidate will:
▪ Articulate an understanding of the dynamics of power, privilege, and access in independent schools
▪ Possess knowledge and application of best practices in advancing equity and social justice in independent school education
▪ Possess knowledge of and experience in facilitating restorative practices and mediation
▪ Assume leadership in supporting and sustaining ongoing dialogue regarding power, privilege, access, and equity in the school community
▪ Show initiative, demonstrate professionalism and sustain integrity
▪ Possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with others
▪ Have demonstrated experience in building and implementing inclusive curriculum and pedagogical practice across disciplines
▪ Nurture optimism, flexibility, and a sense of humor
• Minimum bachelor ‘s degree, master’s preferred
• Minimum 5 years working on issues of equity, inclusion, and social justice
• Classroom teaching experience preferred
• Experience with nationally recognized diversity and inclusion workshop(s) or seminar(s) preferred
• Strong written, organizational, and communication skills
How to Apply:
Please submit the contact information for five references in MS Word or PDF format. Your cover letter should speak to your strengths in connection with the job description, as well as address the following questions:
Deadline to apply is January 10, 2020. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. No calls or emails, please.
CalWest and our partner schools are unable to respond to all applicants.
Candidates may be submitted to multiple positions during their time with CalWest. Also, candidates may not be chosen to move forward in the search they initially expressed interest in pursuing.
Our client schools make the final decisions.
At minimum, applicants should have:
CalWest is the “go-to” firm for educators seeking new positions at independent schools on the West Coast. We focus on increased communication and understanding with our candidates, providing reliable and candid advice about the schools they are considering.
If you have questions about the qualifications to apply, please contact us at email@example.com.